The Saint John’s Church on Chapel Street in downtown Portsmouth, NH was originally named “Queen’s Chapel” after King George II’s wife, Queen Caroline when it was built in 1732. The name was changed in 1791 after the American Revolution. President George Washington attended services at the church in 1789. On Christmas Eve in 1806 a huge fire destroyed the original, wooden, church building along with 300 other buildings in downtown Portsmouth. The current brick church was constructed on the same site in 1807.