Beautiful wall to wall carpeting is an appealing feature in many Portsmouth, New Hampshire homes.
However to keep your wall to wall carpeting in tip top shape and make it last longer, regular cleaning and maintenance is a must.
One of the most critical areas of your wall to wall carpet to maintain is the traffic areas where your family and visitors walk every day. If you don’t remove dirt, grit, and soil on a regular basis it will begin to wear. Dirt and grit are extremely abrasive to wall to wall carpet fibers as people walk on it. Additionally any spills or spotting should be removed immediately to prevent them from becoming permanent stains.
Here are some simple steps you can take to keep your wall to wall carpets looking great and make it last longer.
- Vacuum your wall to wall carpets at least twice a week. Vacuuming removes the soil you can see as well as the soil you can’t see such as sand and other heavy gritty particle that sink down into the nap of your carpet. Those hidden, abrasive particles will cut your carpet’s fibers and cause it to wear out faster.
- You should have your carpets professionally cleaned once a year; more often if you have heavy traffic areas that get more soiled than the rest of your carpeting. Professional cleaning including deep vacuuming that will remove soils and dirt your vacuum may not be able to.
- Removing spills and spotting as soon as they occur is an important key to maintaining your wall to wall carpet. When newer most carpet has sufficient protector on it and some spots and spills can be removed with just plain water from your tap. However for spills and stains water won’t get out you need to use a carpet cleaner either recommended by the manufacturer or your carpet cleaning professional. Most over the counter spot removers leave too much soap residue in your carpeting which can cause it to yellow in that spot.
Wall to wall carpeting is nice to step on when you get out of bed in the mornings.
- If you have a spot or spill you can’t remove it may be time to call in a professional to get it out. Specially trained carpet cleaners are very good in removing tough stains and the small amount of money they charge relative to replacing a room of carpet is usually money well spent.
- After professional cleaning have the cleaners reapply a protective coating such as Scotch Guard to your wall to wall carpet. These stain resistant agents will make your carpeting easier to clean when you vacuum and also make future professional cleaning more effective.
Just in case you need to home to put some new wall to wall carpeting in we recommend New Hampshire Maine Real Estate to find one.